Sacramento Lawyers Handling Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims

DSC07842_finalA significant number of the drivers in California are uninsured or carry only the minimum liability coverage required by law. If you are injured by driver who is uninsured or underinsured, you can file a claim against your own UM/UIM coverage.

At the law firm of Schwarzkopf Law in Sacramento, California, our lawyers are experienced in representing people in negotiations and arbitration hearings over UM/UIM claims. We offer a free initial consultation to explain your rights and answer your questions.

What Is UM/UIM Coverage?

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is insurance you pay for to protect you if the other driver does not have enough insurance to pay for your injuries. In California, the minimum liability insurance is $15,000 per person or $30,000 per accident, which would not go far in paying your expenses if you are seriously injured. In California, everyone who buys auto insurance has UM/UIM coverage unless they expressly opt out.

Even though UM/UIM coverage is provided by your insurance company, it is important to obtain legal advice before you file a claim. For example, if you are injured in a hit and run accident in California, you are required to make a prompt police report. Before you file an underinsured motorist claim, you must get all of the money you can from the liable person. If you settle your claim for less, you forfeit your underinsured motorist claim.